This Restaurant style Hyderabadi chicken biryani is very easy to prepare. I like trying different types of biryani. I prepared this Hyderabadi chicken biryani last weekend and the result was too good.
There are two types of Hyderabadi biryani, kachhi biryani and pakki biryani. In kachhi biryani the chicken or mutton will be marinated with spices, fried onions and yoghurt overnight and then layered with rice and cooked on dum. In pakki biryani, the chicken will be cooked first and then layered with rice which is also almost cooked and further cooked on dum. Today we are making pakki biryani. This does not require any Marination hence does not require much time. You must give it a try m sure you will love it too.
- Chicken 1.5kg cut into medium size pieces
- Basmati rice 3cups
- Onion sliced 3 nos
- Ginger paste 2tbsp
- Garlic paste 1tbsp
- Onion thinly sliced 2nos (For brista)
- Tomato 2nos (each cut into 4 pieces)
- Curd 200ml
- Chilli powder 2tsp
- Corriander powder 2tsp
- Turmeric powder ½ tsp
- Biryani masala powder 3tbsp
- Corriander leaves chopped
- Pudina leaves chopped
- Kewra water 3tsp
- Ghee 4tbsp
- Oil 4tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Whole spices for gravy
- Cinnamon half inch
- Cloves 3 to 4
- Elaichi 4 to 5
- Pepper corns 10 to 12
- Whole spices for rice
- Cinnamon 2 pieces
- Cloves 5 to 6
- Elaichi 7 to 8
- Mace 1 piece
- Star anise 1
- Bay leaf 2
- Shahjeera 1tsp
- Biryani essence few drops optional
- Yellow color few drops
- Dough for sealing
- Soak the rice in water for 30 mins
- Wash and keep aside
- Boil 8 cups of water add the whole spices and few drops of essence and salt
- When the water comes to a boil add the rice and cook it till ¾th done
- Drain and keep aside
- Heat oil and ghee in a kadai add the two thinly sliced onion and fry till golden brown do not fry for long time else it will taste bitter when it turns light brown remove it as it turns darker when cooled
- In the same oil add the whole spices and remaining 3 onions sliced and fry till pale
- Add the ginger garlic paste and fry for one min
- Add the chicken pieces biryani masala powder
- Fry for two minutes
- Add turmeric powder chilli powder Corriander powder and fry for another 30 secs
- Add the curd and mix nicely and cook covered till it is cooked
- Add half of the fried onions
- Add chopped Corriander leaves mint leaves
- add chopped tomato and kewra water and cook for another one minute switch off flame
- Add the rice (If u feel there is more gravy then u can take some of it in a seperate bowl)
- Add the fried onion chopped Corriander leaves food colour
- Place a piece of hot coal in a katori
- Place this above your biryani add ghee and cover it with lid immediately
- Seal it with dough
- And place on low flame for 20 mins
- Switch off the flame and leave it for another 10 mins
- Serve it hot with some raita
Stepwise pictures for Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani:
Boil 8 cups of water add the whole spices and few drops of essence and salt.
When the water comes to a boil add the rice and cook it till 3/4th done Drain and keep aside.
Heat oil and ghee in a kadai.
Add two thinly sliced onion.
Fry until golden brown.
In the same oil add the whole spices.
Add in remaining 3 sliced onion.
Fry till it turns light brown in colour.
Add the ginger garlic paste and fry for one min.
Add the chicken pieces and biryani masala powder.
Fry for two minutes.
Add turmeric powder, chilli powder, corriander powder and fry for another 30 secs.
Add the curd.
Mix nicely and cook covered till it is cooked.
Add half of the fried onions and chopped coriander leaves.
Add chopped tomatoes and kewra water.
Cook for another one minute. Switch off the flame.
Add the rice. (If u feel there is more gravy then u can take some of it in a separate bowl).
Add the remaining fried onion.
Add some chopped corriander leaves.
Sprinkle some food colour.
Place a piece of hot coal in a Katori.
Add ghee and cover it with the lid immediately.
Seal it with dough.
Place on low flame for 20 mins. Switch off the flame and leave it for another 10 mins.
Serve it hot with some raita.