Poori Bhaji is a South Indian breakfast recipe. Perfect poori Bhaji is one which the poori is soft from inside and fluffy and crisp from outside. This poori Bhaji turns out exactly like that.
Since these pooris are deep fried we don’t have it often. Once in a month or so we prepare poori.The dough for making poori should be stiffer than our normally chapathi dough. If the dough is too soft poori will absorb more oil.While rolling out the dough, it should be rolled out evenly. Else the poori will not puff up. U can also use a poori press. I have a very old press which is nearly 30 years old. We use it for making pathhiri. when I am in a hurry I use that to make poori. I have used water for kneading the dough. You can also use milk.
- Wheat flour 2½ cups
- Maida 2 tbsp
- Semolina or sooji 1tbsp
- Sugar ¾ Tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil 1 tsp and for deep frying
- Potatoes boiled 4 to 5
- Onion 1 thinly sliced
- Green Chilies 3 to 4 slit lengthwise
- Urad dhal ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- In a bowl take wheat flour, Maida, semolina, sugar and salt.
- Add oil and mix nicely.
- Add water and knead to stiff dough.
- Rest the dough for 10 mins.
- Make medium size balls.
- Roll out each ball applying some oil. It should be slightly thick.
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- When the oil is hot enough drop the poori. Press it slightly using a slotted spoon so that it puffs up. Turn over and fry for few secs. Keep the flame medium.
- Transfer it to a kitchen towel.
- Serve it hot with some bhaji or saagu.
- Heat oil in a Kadai
- Add the mustard seeds
- when it stops spluttering add in Urad dhal.
- Fry it until light brown.
- Add the sliced onions and slit green chillies.
- Fry till it turns soft.
- Add the Turmeric powder and fry for few secs.
- Add the boiled potatoes and mix well.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Stepwise Pictures For poori:
In a bowl take wheat flour, Maida, semolina.
Add sugar and salt.
Add oil and mix nicely.
Add water and knead to stiff dough.
Make medium size balls and flatten it.
Roll out each ball applying some oil. It should be slightly thick.
Heat oil for deep frying.When the oil is hot enough drop the poori.
Press it slightly using a slotted spoon so that it puffs up.
Take it out using a slotted spoon.
Transfer it to a Plate.
Now let us prepare bhaji. To The add the mustard seeds. when it stops spluttering add in Urad dhal.
Fry it until light brown.
Add the sliced onions and slit green chillies.
Fry till it turns soft.
Add the Turmeric powder and fry for few secs.
Add the boiled potatoes and mix well.
Serve it hot.