Chicken Ghee Roast is a very famous dish of Mangalore. It is served in almost all the restaurants. Chicken Ghee Roast has a strong flavour of ghee because the spices are roasted in ghee. It also has a deep red colour because we are using byadgi chillies or Kashmiri red chillies.
Vegetarians can substitute chicken with Paneer and make Paneer ghee roast. I normally use Both Guntur chillies and Kashmiri chillies to make this Chicken Ghee Roast but this time I used only Kashmiri chillies as I did not have Guntur Chillies.
- Chicken 500 gms cut into medium size pieces
- Curd ¼ cup
- Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
- Lemon juice of ½ lemon
- Salt to taste
- Fenugreek seeds ¼ tsp
- Coriander seeds 1 tbsp
- Pepper corns 1 tsp
- Kashmiri chillies 15
- Guntur chillies 8
- Cumin seeds ¼ tsp
- Garlic 10 cloves
- Tamarind lemon sized ball
- Curry leaves 3 to 4 sprigs
- Ghee ½ cup
- Soak the Kashmiri chillies in Hot water for 20 mins.
- Marinate the chicken with lemon juice, turmeric powder,salt and curd for about 4 hours.
- Heat 1 tsp ghee in a pan. Roast Corriander seeds, Pepper, cumin seeds, Fenugreek seeds and cloves till you get a nice aroma.
- Let it cool down.
- Grind this along with the chillies, garlic and tamarind to a fine paste.
- Heat ghee in a pan.
- Add the marinated chicken and fry till it is ¾th cooked.
- Take it out and keep aside.
- In the same ghee add the Ground masala paste and fry for about 5 mins.
- Add the fried chicken, salt and mix nicely.
- Add some water and let it cook till the chicken is completely done.
- Add the curry leaves and mix nicely.
- Serve hot with some rice
Stepwise pictures of Chicken Ghee Roast
Soak the Kashmiri chillies in Hot water for 20 mins.
In a bowl take curd and lemon juice,
Add turmeric powder and salt.
Add the chicken pieces and marinate for 4 hours.
Heat 1 tsp ghee in a pan and add Corriander seeds, cumin seeds, Pepper, Fenugreek seeds and fry till you get a nice aroma.
In a blender take the red chillies,
Grind to a fine paste.
Heat ghee in a pan and add the marinated chicken and fry till it is 3/4th cooked.
Take it out and keep aside.
In the same ghee add the Ground masala paste and fry for about 5 mins.
Add the fried chicken, salt and mix nicely.
Add some water and curry leaves and let it cook till the chicken is completely done.
Serve hot with some rice.