Kashi Halwa or Dumroot Halwa is made from ash gourd or white pumpkin. Kashi Halwa is a famous sweet of Karnataka. It is served in most Indian weddings alongside Ice Cream. Hot Kashi Halwa with cold vanilla Ice Cream is a match made in heaven.
Kashi halwa is very tasty and easy to prepare but it is very time-consuming. Ash gourd releases a lot of water when you grate it. Therefore it takes a lot of time for all the water to get dried up. You could squeeze all the water and then add to save some time. I did not do that so I had to cook for 3 hours. I have used yellow food colour you can use turmeric powder too. You can serve it plain or with Vanilla ice cream. I had it with my Pink Passion Ice Cream.
- Ash gourd or white pumpkin 5kgs
- Sugar 4 cups
- Ghee 1 cup
- Cardamom powder 1 Tsp
- Yellow food colour or turmeric powder a pinch
- Peel the Ash gourd and remove the seeds and the soft pith.
- Cut it into large pieces and grate it using a grater.
- Take the grated ash gourd along with its water in a large vessel.
- Cook it until almost all the water is dried up.
- Add the sugar and cook further for about 15 mins or until the sugar is nicely absorbed.
- Add the ghee and cook for 10 mins until it is glossy.
- Add the cardamom powder and mix well.
- Serve it hot with a scoop of cold Ice Cream
Stepwise Pictures Of Kashi Halwa:
Take the grated ash gourd along with its water in a large vessel.
Cook it until almost all the water is dried up.
Add the sugar and cook further for about 15 mins or until the sugar is nicely absorbed.
Add a pinch of yellow food colour and mix nicely.
Add the ghee and cook for 10 mins until it is glossy.
Add the cardamom powder and mix well.
Serve it hot with a scoop of Ice Cream.