Banana Halwa is a very easy sweet to prepare but it is a little time-consuming. You can never go wrong while making this sweet. I do not like halwa that much. My mother loves Halwa a lot. So I always Prepare for her.
Banana Halwa is generally prepared from Plantains or Nendra Bananas. But you can use other variety too.We have Banana trees in our garden. These bananas are from our garden. It is the robusta variety. The key to getting a nice Halwa is that the Banana should be overripe. It should be completely black in colour as shown in the picture below. The colour and texture of the Halwa depends on the type of banana used and also The cooking time. The more you cook the darker and chewier it will be. I have cooked this Halwa for 1 hour. It depends on the number of bananas used.
I made this Halwa in the night. I thought of cutting it in the morning but before I could cut, the entire halwa was finished. That is how much everybody loves it at my home.
- Banana paste 4 cups
- Sugar 1 cup
- Elaichi powder 1 tsp
- Ghee ⅓ cup
- Cashewnuts roughly chopped 4 tbsp
- Peel all the Bananas.
- Grind it to a fine paste.
- Transfer to a non-stick vessel.
- Add in sugar and Mix nicely.
- Cook this mixture on medium flame.
- When it gets slightly thick add in 1 tbsp ghee at a time and mix till it is absorbed by the halwa. keep the flame low and stir occasionally.
- Add the elaichi powder and cashew nuts and mix it well.
- From this stage onward you have to stir the halwa continuously till it turns dark brown in colour
- Cook till the Halwa releases ghee.
- Transfer this mixture to a greased thali and spread it.
- Let it cool down completely.
- Cut into the desired shapes.
Stepwise pictures of Banana Halwa:
Peel all the Bananas.
Grind it to a fine paste.
Transfer to a non-stick vessel. Add in sugar and Mix nicely.
Cook this mixture on medium flame.
Add ghee 1tbsp a time and cook on low flame.
Add the elaichi powder and cashew nuts.
From this stage onward you have to stir the halwa continuously till it turns dark brown in colour.
Cook till ghee is released from the sides.
Transfer this mixture to a greased thali and spread it.